Friday, February 27, 2009

CREAM CHEESE GLAZE FOR BUNDT CAKES

I use this glaze for my lowfat carrot cake, even though it doubles the amount of fat per serving (it's worth it!). Each piece of lowfat carrot cake with glaze still only has 10 grams of fat, which is pretty good for a big piece of cake. The only drawback with using a dairy glaze, like this, is that the cake must be refrigerated. Cakes usually taste better at room temperature, so you'd want to take it from the refrigerator about 30-45 minutes before eating.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 ounces regular or lowfat cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-4 tablespoons milk (skim or regular)

In a small mixer bowl, beat the butter until creamy. beat in the cream cheese until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat until blended. Beat in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze will fall from a spoon in a continuous ribbon.

Set the cake to be glazed on a rack, over a rimmed baking pan. Pour on the glaze. Transfer the cake to a cake holder or serving platter using a long or giant spatula (available from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/ ). Refrigerate the cake until the glaze sets, but remove it from the refrigerator 30-45 minutes before you want to eat the cake.

13 comments:

Dawn S. said...

will try this for Easter dinner. Thanks!

Penny Wantuck Eisenberg said...

Happy Easter! Hope it's a huge success.

Samantha said...

Will try this for my red velvet cake this christmas. Sounds amazingly easy I shall letcha know! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Made the glaze to go over a strawberry bundt cake recipe...simply AMAZING!!!! And very easy to make.
Thanks!!

Pat said...

I'm going to put this glaze on the Chocolate Zucchini Cake I just made. Thanks!

Pat said...

I'm going to put this on the Chocolate Zucchini Cake I just made. Thanks!

Penny Wantuck Eisenberg said...

Hope it's delicious!

Nicole Z. said...

I made this for a Carrot Cake Bundt...it was just beautiful! And so GOOOOD! Definitely be using this recipe whenever I need a quick, easy, delicious cream cheese glaze!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

KathyA said...

I just used this with a Pumpkin Streusel Bundt cake and it is delicious. I'm not so concerned about fat, so I used cream instead of the milk. My husband loved it!

Ashley said...

Just made this, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Mark said...

Hi!

I followed the recipe but my outcome is grainy. can you please tell me what could have gone wrong?

Thanks!

Penny Wantuck Eisenberg said...

I have had the problem of grainy cream cheese frosting, too. Probably your cream cheese was too soft or you over beat it. You could even try making this without a beater - it's just a little harder to do, and the lowfat cream cheese is pretty soft even straight from the refrigerator, so you could try just letting warm slightly. Let me know how it goes!

best bar to watch sports said...

Cream cheese glaze for bundt cakes is given her.e know details from here